How to make money building smartphone apps?December 15, 2012 / byMarco / Categories : Business, Free, Make Money, Software, Technology
So you’re thinking of making money building smartphone apps. Where do you start? Are you going to make money? Is there already an existing app on the market?
Those are some of the questions I would ask before even thinking about making money building smartphone apps.
So what should you build?
I guess that’s up to you and it depends how viable your idea is. If you build a really cool app that solves a unique problem then that’s a sure winner. Or even if it’s a really simple and cool addictive game that allows you to play with other people then that’s also a winner.
How to make money?
There are several ways to make money building smartphone apps. Here’s my list:
1. Be a developer. You create apps for other people or businesses and they pay you for developing the app.
2. Create a website and promote the app and you get a commission for selling the app
3. Create the app using one of the 3 options below and sell it on Apple Store or Google Play
4. One of the secret of making money building smartphone apps is something called “In app purchases”. Quite a number of games have in app purchases and you basically use real money to buy things within the game. So if you build an addictive game, that encourages people to buy things from your app then you’ll be laughing all the way to the bank.
5. Advertising banners within your app. Obviously your app needs to be popular in order to generate any advertising revenue.
If you’ve decided to go ahead and continue building the app then there are a few options you need to consider when building the app:
1. Build it yourself
This is probably going to take the longest time. Take a book out and start learning how to code. Watch videos, attend webinars or even attend courses. Ask for help on forums and the list goes on.
If you already have the experience, this option is going to be the cheapest and also the most profitable because you’ll end up creating multiple apps. Now, if you don’t have the experience then this is going to be the most painful. To be honest you’ll probably end up spending several months just playing around and work out how to install the SDKs and development tool and then you’ll end up giving up. Yes, making money building smartphone apps is not easy.
2. Hire a developer
This is quicker than option 1 and it will be less painful. You’ll be just a project manager telling the developers what you want. Obviously, like any project manager you will need to guide the developers of how you want the app to look and how the app works. REMEMBER: Developers are NOT mind readers. They will do what you tell them to do and if your requirements are vague, then you’ll end up getting a very crap app.
Where can you find smartphone developers? Use the Internet. You’ll find local developers who will do an awesome job and you’ll be able to talk to them face to face but the problem is that they are more expensive that hiring someone off shore. Yes, I hate to admit this but going off shore is much cheaper and especially if you just want to try out the smarphone app scene then this would be the better option. They can get your app developed for about $2k depending on your requirements.
Here’s one that we recommend:
3. Use online apps makers
Yes there are several websites that allow you to just pay a monthly fee and you’ll be able to create your very own app using the tools they provide you. The tools are all drag and drop so you don’t need to know how to code. It’s quick, easy and cheaper than the two options above.
If you need further help then there’s a few sites/links I recommend:
Good luck and let me know how you went. If you need help let me know.
- Advertise Me Pty Ltd
Digital Signage Solutions
Limit to 5 sponsors.
OTHER ARTICLES YOU MAY LIKE
Expires: May 30, 2018, 11:59 pm EST
- Get GDPR-ready – create various policies compliant with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) including disclosures on:
- Website logging and device data
- Personal information and user-generated content
- How and why you collect information
- Data storage and security
- Third-party access
- Your users’ privacy rights
- Build a Terms of Service – easily create your website terms based on typical and reasonable use of information.
Normally, the comprehensive policy plan sells for $15 but for a limited time only you can get GDPR ready for just $7.50! That’s a 50% savings off the regular price.
Click the BUY NOW button to make your site GDPR ready today!
- This deal is redeemable on the supplied promo page on the GetTerms.io website.
- Generated policies are provided via the GetTerms.io website.
- Policies are of a general nature, based on typical, reasonable and fair use of information.
- GetTerms.io takes no responsibility for the use or actions taken, based on the contents of this website.
NOW ON: Design Beginners Bootcamp of 12 Courses – only $89!
Expires: May 29, 2018, 11:59 pm EST
If you’ve always wanted to get into design but never knew how, here’s your opportunity! Perfect for those just starting out, the Design Beginners Bootcamp is a fabulous collection of 12 impactful courses that cover everything design from theory to software to creative designs. Quickly soak up these beginner design lessons and you won’t just be boosting your creativity confidence, you’ll be advancing your career.
- Learn designer tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Indesign.
- Perfect for amateur and budding designers.
- Master a wide variety of design elements – infographics, icons, logos.
- Posters, flyers, design theory, typography, branding and more.
- Each course builds on previous one to enhance your learning.
- 12 resourceful courses for beginning designers:
- Create Icons & Logos with Illustrator
- 10 Steps to Better Graphic Design
- Working with Indesign Packages & Templates
- How to Improve Your Images with Photoshop
- Make Website and Social Media Images with Illustrator
- 10 Steps to Better Typography
- Create Flyers, Posters etc from Scratch with Indesign
- Make Images for Social Media with Photoshop
- Create Basic Infograhics with Illustrator
- Create a Logo for Your Brand
- Get Your Work Commercially Printed from Indesign
- How to Cut People Out with Photoshop
About Your Instructor:
Over a 20-year span, Peter Bone has taught thousands of people how to use popular design programs such as Quark Xpress, InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. He’s taught everyone from total beginners to complete experts in the field, working for such popular companies as the BBC, The British Museum, Disney, Greenpeace, Price Waterhouse Cooper, Conde Nast and more.
“I already had some knowledge of illustrator, but Peter’s course took me from beginner level to the next level. It also reminded me of the core fundamental knowledge that’s needed to build a solid skill set.” — Mercedes Thomas, Creative Entrepreneur @sadiequips
“Very very good. Great pace and easy to follow.” — Lucy Joy, Artist
“Clear, concise and to the point. Easy to follow. I felt like I had accomplished something at the end so all good for me. I feel like I can learn Illustrator after all.” — Mary Louise Kairus, Virtual Assistant
Normally, this collection of classes sells for $599, but for a limited time only, you can get the Design Beginners Bootcamp for only $89. That’s an 85% savings off the regular price.
Click the BUY NOW button to kickstart your designs today!
- You’ll receive a coupon code after completing your purchase, to register at the vendor’s website for access to these courses.
- All videos are streamable downloads and require an Internet connection for viewing. They are not downloadable.