One of my most popular posts on this blog is How to Make Money Building Apps which I wrote several years ago. It’s a bit out of date and I wanted to include another means of generating some passive income by building a simple type of app to the list. A big trend that is happening right now is creating Sticker Apps. Yes, you’ve read that right. The iMessage platform now has the ability to install Sticker Apps so you can share some of your favourite stickers with people you’re chatting with.
How does this work?
Currently, the Sticker market on the Apple Store isn’t as saturated as games and apps. But, it’s getting more popular. Developers are quickly catching on to this niche app market and there are many incentives for creating these small and fun apps. They are very simple and easy to develop. All you really need is a graphic designer to come up with sticker packages for your relevant industry and a developer. For example, let’s take this Camping & Hiking Sticker
You simply install the app from the App Store or from the iMessage store.
Select the stickers you want to share with the person you’re chatting with and then laugh – hahahaha!
The millennials are one of the biggest users of sticker apps. If you think about it, most kids these days would rather send an image or video rather than text – think of Instagram or Snapchat. It’s quick, fun and an engaging way to communicate. So the sticker market at the moment isn’t as saturated like the games and apps market, so there is a very limited competition. My recommendation would find a unique or niche market to create stickers for, as an example on the Apple store you will find there are not many Camping & Hiking Sticker apps so market penetration for this industry will be easier compared to a smiley faces or cute animals stickers.
Here’s a few steps I would do before getting into this area:
Research – find out how many sticker apps are available on the Apple Store for the niche industry you’re planning to get into. If there’s a lot of sticker apps in that industry, pick another one.
Find a designer – you would need to come up with at least 50 stickers to make it worthwhile for someone to purchase the app. You will need the designer to also create an app icon and some screenshots (you can probably create the screenshots yourself if you’re on a tight budget)
Find a developer – you would then need to package the stickers into an App so it can be submitted to the Apple store. Creating this type of app is fairly simple and should cost more than $500. They will package the app and submit it to the Apple Store for you or you can do it yourself. Now remember, that there is a cost associated with having a developer account on either the Apple Store or Play Store. You can read more about the different costs here: http://advertiseme.mobi/developer-account-fees-for-google-play-and-apple-app-stores-infographic/
Content writing – you will need to write content (description) for the sticker app. You can hire a content write or you can do this yourself. You also need to think about keywords you want to associate the sticker app with and I highly recommend to make sure the keywords are relevant to the app
ASO – App Store Optimisation is a process or technique to try to optimise your app to rank higher in the app store. Very similar to SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) – you’re basically aiming to rank higher so the app can be easily found in the app store it increases the chances of someone purchasing the app. The more visits/viewers, then the more revenue
Now if you want to skip this whole process and just want a one stop shop to do this all for you then there are companies like AdvertiseMe.mobi that can do this all for you.
Here’s a list of websites that can help you find a freelance designer, developer, content writer, ASO, that will be able to help you get into this new and fast growing Sticker app opportunity:
Freelancer – you can pretty much find developers, graphic designers and everything you would need to get the app done from start to finish
Good luck to those who want to take this path and plan to take this new adventure.
- Advertise Me Pty Ltd
Digital Signage Solutions
- Fitness Mania
Everything to do with fitness products ranging from gym equipment, fitness clothing, protein powder and lots more.
- My Healthy App
My Healthy App curates all the best and latest mobile health apps.
Limit to 5 sponsors.
OTHER ARTICLES YOU MAY LIKE
Expires: May 30, 2018, 11:59 pm EST
- Get GDPR-ready – create various policies compliant with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) including disclosures on:
- Website logging and device data
- Personal information and user-generated content
- How and why you collect information
- Data storage and security
- Third-party access
- Your users’ privacy rights
- Build a Terms of Service – easily create your website terms based on typical and reasonable use of information.
Normally, the comprehensive policy plan sells for $15 but for a limited time only you can get GDPR ready for just $7.50! That’s a 50% savings off the regular price.
Click the BUY NOW button to make your site GDPR ready today!
- This deal is redeemable on the supplied promo page on the GetTerms.io website.
- Generated policies are provided via the GetTerms.io website.
- Policies are of a general nature, based on typical, reasonable and fair use of information.
- GetTerms.io takes no responsibility for the use or actions taken, based on the contents of this website.
NOW ON: Design Beginners Bootcamp of 12 Courses – only $89!
Expires: May 29, 2018, 11:59 pm EST
If you’ve always wanted to get into design but never knew how, here’s your opportunity! Perfect for those just starting out, the Design Beginners Bootcamp is a fabulous collection of 12 impactful courses that cover everything design from theory to software to creative designs. Quickly soak up these beginner design lessons and you won’t just be boosting your creativity confidence, you’ll be advancing your career.
- Learn designer tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Indesign.
- Perfect for amateur and budding designers.
- Master a wide variety of design elements – infographics, icons, logos.
- Posters, flyers, design theory, typography, branding and more.
- Each course builds on previous one to enhance your learning.
- 12 resourceful courses for beginning designers:
- Create Icons & Logos with Illustrator
- 10 Steps to Better Graphic Design
- Working with Indesign Packages & Templates
- How to Improve Your Images with Photoshop
- Make Website and Social Media Images with Illustrator
- 10 Steps to Better Typography
- Create Flyers, Posters etc from Scratch with Indesign
- Make Images for Social Media with Photoshop
- Create Basic Infograhics with Illustrator
- Create a Logo for Your Brand
- Get Your Work Commercially Printed from Indesign
- How to Cut People Out with Photoshop
About Your Instructor:
Over a 20-year span, Peter Bone has taught thousands of people how to use popular design programs such as Quark Xpress, InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. He’s taught everyone from total beginners to complete experts in the field, working for such popular companies as the BBC, The British Museum, Disney, Greenpeace, Price Waterhouse Cooper, Conde Nast and more.
“I already had some knowledge of illustrator, but Peter’s course took me from beginner level to the next level. It also reminded me of the core fundamental knowledge that’s needed to build a solid skill set.” — Mercedes Thomas, Creative Entrepreneur @sadiequips
“Very very good. Great pace and easy to follow.” — Lucy Joy, Artist
“Clear, concise and to the point. Easy to follow. I felt like I had accomplished something at the end so all good for me. I feel like I can learn Illustrator after all.” — Mary Louise Kairus, Virtual Assistant
Normally, this collection of classes sells for $599, but for a limited time only, you can get the Design Beginners Bootcamp for only $89. That’s an 85% savings off the regular price.
Click the BUY NOW button to kickstart your designs today!
- You’ll receive a coupon code after completing your purchase, to register at the vendor’s website for access to these courses.
- All videos are streamable downloads and require an Internet connection for viewing. They are not downloadable.