Installing Cyanogenmod 7 on HTC Desire HDApril 28, 2011 / by Marco / Categories : Technology
I stayed up all night for this… (3am) but I managed to install Cyanogenmod7 on my HTC Desire HD. Initially, I thought it was going to be painful and I also hesitated after reading that you may brick your phone. I decided to take the plunge and update the most popular Android ROM out there – Cyanogenmod 7. After installing it, I ended up upgrading it to 7.0.2 since there were a few bug fixes. I performed this on two HTC Desire HD phones without any problems so I decided to document this.
Here’s the steps that I used to change the Android stock ROM – Warning: I will not responsible if you brick your phone so just be careful.
In order to install any of the above applications you’ll need to copy the apk files to your phone by connecting your phone to your computer via the USB and change the Connect to PC type to Disk Drive. This will mount the phone as a disk drive so you can copy files to it.
1. Install ASTRO file manager from the Android Market https://market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astro&feature=search_result
2. Install VISIONary version r14 – here’s the link with instructions and also the file to install http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-hd-desirehd-modaco-com/320722/19-nov-r14-visionary-one-click-root/
In settings, go to applications, select Unknown Sources. Then select development in Applications and make sure USB debugging is ticked.
Copy the file to your Phone. Use ASTRO File Manager and install the file.
Once the application is installed, temproot the phone.The latest version allows you to permanently root the phone. You’ll also need to perform this. The phone will reboot. You will now have root access meaning you can pretty much do anything you want with the phone.
3. One click ENG S-OFF – this is a windows based application. The instructions and download files can be found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=855403
Download the file – you need to be a registered member.
Extract the files to your computer.
Run the executable file Desire HD easy s-off.exe
Click “S-OFF it”! and on the phone allow possible SuperUser.
4. Install ROM Manager from Android Market https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager&feature=search_result
5. Run the ROM Manager and press on the first option “Flash ClockworkMod Recovery”. Make sure you are no longer using the Disk Drive option – just select Charge Only.
6. Download the Cyanogenmod 7 file from here: http://mirror.cyanogenmod.com/get/update-cm-7.0.2-DesireHD-signed.zip or follow the official instructions from here http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/20122-cyanogenmod-7-for-htc-desire-hd-v700-10-april-2011/
6. Copy the zip file to the SD card on the phone – make sure you are using the Disk Drive option
7. In ROM Manager press “Install ROM from SD Card” and select the file update-cm-7.0.2-DesireHD-signed.zip
8. You will be prompted with the ROM Pre-Installation. Select Backup Existing ROM. Make sure you select Wipe data and cache. If you don’t do this you will notice the phone will not load and will just get stuck on the Cyanogenmod logo. If you’re doing an upgrade from one version of Cyanogenmod then you should not need to wipe the data and cache.
You will be prompted to press OK and the system will reboot. There you go. You should have the latest Cyanogenmod 7. Also, you can also install the Google Applications addons from here http://android.d3xt3r01.tk/cyanogen/gapps/gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip
I have now used Cyanogenmod 7.0.2 for almost a week now and some of the issues I’ve experienced so far are:
- Proximity no longer works – I was previously able to flip the phone and it would hang up or even lift my phone and the ringing would go quiet. This is now gone.
- Teethering – previously I was able to easily change this using the USB options this using 2 steps. Now I have to go to settings and enable this. How annoying.
- Wireless Coverage – I noticed that the wireless coverage is less than what I use to have.
- FM radio – for some reason when I use the FM radio application it enables the Bluetooth option. Why does it need Bluetooth. I couldn’t find a way to disable this. It seems to drain the battery more when this is turned on.
Overall, I noticed that the battery life lasts longer and that the overall performance is much faster – there is an option to change the CPU speed to 1516mhz.
Let me know if you need any help or if I’ve left out any steps.
Limit to 5 sponsors.
OTHER ARTICLES YOU MAY LIKE
Remember the good old days when you could just go to a website and see what all your email addresses were? Those days are gone, unfortunately. One of the biggest problems for businesses and individuals is spam. Spammers send out millions of emails a day, hoping to catch people who are not expecting to receive […]read more
You may have seen the Weather and News widget appear on your Windows 10 taskbar after a recent update and today, I’m going to show you how to hide the Weather and News Widget. The Windows 10 taskbar is the central component of the Windows operating system that shows all the open programs and their […]read more